FYZICAL Austin Balance & Dizziness Programs
Balance and walking problems can result from orthopedic conditions, neurological disorders, or a number of injuriesthat involve the joints, muscles, and nerves.
FYZICAL Austin takes a whole-body approach to consider whether issues with the spine, hip, knee or feet contribute to imbalances, and they provide intensive one-on-one care to help you achieve the greatest independence possible.
Did You Know?
- 1/3 of the population over 65 falls each year
- In patients over 75, imbalance is the #1 reason for a doctor visit
- Falls account for 25% of all hospital admissions
- Falls are the #1 cause of fractures
- Falls account for 40% of all nursing home admissions
- At least half of the overall United States population is affected by a balance or vestibular disorder sometime during their lives.
- Approximately 15 out of every 1000 individuals consult their family physician each year with complaints of vertigo, dizziness, or imbalance; half the individuals over the age of 65 will develop positional vertigo.
- Of all falls suffered by the elderly, 50% are reported to be the result of vestibular problems.
- In approximately 15% of vestibular patients, the cause cannot be recognized.
- Vestibular dysfunction is a prominent part of balance disorders, particularly in the elderly, and is a significant source of morbidity.
- It has been estimated that 65% of individuals older than 60 years of age experience dizziness or loss of balance, often on a daily basis.
- Dizziness is a common symptom affecting about 30% of people over the age of 65.
- Approximately 12.5 million Americans over the age of 65 have a dizziness or balance problem that significantly interferes with their lives.
- In the US, the estimated cost of medical care for patients with balance disorders exceeds $1 billion annually.
- Dizziness can be difficult to diagnose, particularly in elderly persons, in whom it often represents dysfunction in more than one body system.
- Many cases of dizziness are actually neurological.
Our balance programs focus on strength, endurance, motion, gait training and coordination for safe walking and preventing falls. If you need the assistance of a cane or walker, FYZICAL Austin therapists will match you with the appropriate device and provide training for safety.
At FYZICAL Austin, our therapists realize how important balance and walking is for independent living, as well as for work activities, exercise, sports and enjoying life in general.
That’s why we provide a range of programs and therapies to evaluate and treat balance disorders:
- Assessment and Evaluation Programs
- Difficulty Walking
- Gait Training and Balance Programs
- Fall Prevention and Balance Retraining
- Vestibular Rehab
- Functional Training