Posts for tag: Cedar Park
September is Fall Prevention Awareness Month #FightTheFall
It's no secret that the Boomer's are aging out. In general, we live a much more active life longer than generations that came before us. And that means that we most definitely need to take fall prevention seriously. Healthcare in the United States is volitie, and as services/reimbursements become more limited taking a proactive approach, rahter than a reacitve approach is definitey the prudent thing to do.
- One out of five falls causes a serious injury such as broken bones or a head injury
- Each year, 3 million older people are treated in emergency departments for fall injuries.
- Over 800,000 patients a year are hospitalized because of a fall injury, most often because of a head injury or hip fracture.
- Each year at least 300,000 older people are hospitalized for hip fractures.
- More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling, usually by falling sideways.
- Falls are the most common cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBI).
- In 2015, the total medical costs for falls totaled more than $50 billion. Medicare and Medicaid shouldered 75% of these costs.
- Falls are preventable.
A little known fact is that every year Medicare has a set value of Physical Therapy (PT) dollars that you have. Use them or not, they are there. Take the time to invest in your health and independance, before the fall happens.
To learn more visit: https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/adultfalls.html